Friday, January 1, 2010

Home improvements

Well, It is time to make a report of what we have done to the house.

We got one basement window put in a couple weeks ago. I decided to cut out the concrete in order to make the window a little larger. After several attempts I finally figured out a good way to cut the concrete out. I ended up using a hammer drill to cut out the opening, and then using an angle grinder to smooth out the hole. Unfortunately, the grinder created a lot of dust, which we are still cleaning out of the basement.

I also installed one window in Alise's room today, with the other one in her room set up to be installed tomorrow. I thought those windows would be easier than the basement since we were replacing them with the same size windows, but unfortunately the window company we ordered from sent us windows that were too large. I gave them finished measurement, but they assumed they were rough measurements, so I had to cut off some of the decorative vinyl that goes around the window. I also had to rip out some of the 2X4 frame around the window and move it out. Luckily, the window was about 1/4 inch smaller than the brick opening, so I didn't have to play with that at all.

The other project we just completed was to rip the carpet out of our dining area. When we did that yesterday we were pleasantly surprised to find that the hardwood floor underneath is in great condition. Other than some paint spots around the outside it looks great. We are planning on leaving it how it is until we install the back door. Once the door is in we will refinish the floor.

1 comment:

Grandma B said...

Sounds nice! We can hardly wait to see it! I'm thinking of bringing Dalton down to see your house this summer. Sound fun?
Be careful,you are working with big dangerous tools! NEVER BE IN A RUSH! Pay full attention! Love you guys!Mom