Sunday, December 23, 2012

Storage / laundry shelves

I spent some time building some shelves in the laundry / storage room.  First, I built a small shelf on the wall that backs onto the bathroom wall.  It will fit two storage bins side by side, on the bottom shelves, and then three side by side on the top.  The pictures aren't great, but it is hard to get pictures since the area is pretty tight.


Just to the side of that, I put one hanging shelf on the wall.  The water softener will go under that shelf once we buy it.  Both of these shelves were built a month or so ago.

This weekend, I put in a shelf behind the sink and furnace.  Right now it has all of our paint and painting stuff.  This is the first time since we moved here that the paint cans haven't been scattered all over the floor.


I also built a laundry basket shelf.  Up until now, we would do the laundry and then put it in the family room. It would pile up there for several days (sometimes weeks) until we would run out of clothes.  Then we would sort it out and put it away.


Now, we have this laundry shelf that will hold five baskets.  The plan is to sort the laundry as it is being taken out of the dryer.  Each kid has their own basket, so all of their clothes go right into their basket.  When they need clothes, or when their basket is filled, they can take the basket right to their room and put their clothes away.  The black paint on the front of the shelves is chalkboard paint, which will allow us to put the name of the kids right on the shelf.  The other nice feature I built into the shelf is that is is on caster, so it can be moved close to the dryer while unloading clothes, but then rolled out of the way when it isn't needed.


1 comment:

Grandma B said...

Byram you are amazing! You are Byram the Creative Builder! The laundry baskets are so cool! Greatest idea of any invention! Just the most amazing laundry room ever! Great job Byram!